Witness one of the most incredible architectural marvels in Colombia. Tour one of biggest constructions made out of salt on planet earth. Walk the sacred axis and stations of this unique underground Catholic temple known as “Salt Cathedral”. Get to know the interesting history behind the temple construction. Tour the town of Zipaquira, taste delicious local food and check out the handicraft market. Learn about the incredible history of the indigenous empire that inhabited this lands abundant in minerals.
TOTAL DURATION: 7 Hrs.
– The guidance of a local bilingual expert.
– Private transportation in comfortable cars.
– Travel Insurance.
– Cathedral entrances.
– Traditional Colombia snack and drink.
– Lunch. Visitors can pick from a variety of restaurants.
– Get to know the history of the Zipa people. Indigenous inhabitants of the place
– Learn about the Zipaquirá town’s salt mine origins and its history.
– Discover the amazing construction process of the Cathedral.
– Visit the different stations inside the Cathedral.
– Tour the colonial village of Zipaquirá
Departing from Bogotá at 8am you will arrive in Zipaquira village after an hour drive. Appreciate the extraordinary and unique architecture in the country at this Roman Catholic Catedral. The building is now candidate to become one of the New Wonders of the world
The Salt Cathedral of Zipaquirá, lodges inside halls and walls decorated with icons of the Catholic tradition. One of its main tourist attributes are the symbols about the Christianity carved in its interior and the replica of the “Via Crucis” stops. This marvel of design gaters the work of different Colombian artist and artisans.
Once you exit the Salt Cathedral a delicious traditional lunch will be ready for you. After, tour the city grounds and check the several buildings there, that have been declared national monuments. This territory was once the key epicenter of an ancient empire, who built an abundant economy grace to a successful salt trade. They called the product “white gold” and was used as currency in the pre-colonial times.
Come back comfortably to Bogota city with your guide in your private transportation.