The Guatavita and Zipaquira tour combined make the perfect day trip. You will discover the rich history of the Cundiboyacense savannah and visit magical places full of traditions and millenary stories. Guatavita natural reserve will get you back in touch with nature and ancient cultures throughout the stories behind their sacred lake. The town of Zipaquirá with its magnificent Cathedral is an unforgettable landmark of arquitectural and religious value.
TOTAL DURATION: 10 Hrs.
– The guidance of a local bilingual expert.
– Private transportation in comfortable cars.
– Travel Insurance.
– Entrances to the Guatavita Natural reserve.
– Entrances to the Cathedral of Zipaquirá.
– Traditional Colombia snack and drink.
– Get to know all the details behind the Zipaquirá history; its salt mines, its construction and the ancestral meaning of Guatavita Lagoon.
– Explore the Lagoon’s surroundings and the Cathedral interiors.
– Discovers all the legends and myths of the region.
– Visit the ancestral town of Guatavita.
– Try delicious local food at the town of Zipaquirá
After your bilingual guide pick you up at your accommodation you will head North of the city to make your first stop at the Zipaquira village. In this ancestral you will learn about the local, colonial and pre-Columbian history of Colombia, especially that of the Cundimarca region.
The amazing architectural wonder of the Salt Cathedral will be highlight of the morning. Take a deep breath and get inside this unique construction, build 180m below the ground. There, a former salt mine has been converted in a cathedral by Colombian engineers and designers. Its incredible cavernous interiors carved with religious symbols and lightening effects will make you feel in another planet.
After, you will explore to the town of Nueva Guatavita, whose origins include an ancient settlement underwater and a millennial legend: El Dorado. Enjoy an exquisite typical lunch while watching the incredible view of the Tominé damn to later explore the lagoon and its surroundings.
Finally, our trip will end with a tour of the Guatavita natural park, where you will learn about the importance of the fog forest ecosystem and the intriguing “Muisca” civilization. Take the trail to get to the highest point and have a full view of this impressive lagoon. To the day, it is believed many artifacts of gold lay on its bed.
Guatavita reserve is closed on Mondays or Tuesday when Monday is a holiday.
In this Lake Guatavita tour you will visit the holy lagoon of the “Muisca” people. A ritual supposedly conducted there, gave birth to “El Dorado” legend. Learn more about the mysticism of the place and the fantastic stories that have surrounded this beautiful, tranquil area over the centuries.